3 Ways Mindfulness + Yoga practices fine-tune intuition and cultivate self-trust.
- Strengthens vagal tone
- Any activity or experience that holds us in the container of paying attention to the felt sense and/or practicing interior inquiry has been shown to strengthen vagal tone. Your vagus nerve is one of the largest nerves in your body and takes information from the body to inform the brain. The low vagal tone has been shown to be connected with anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and other pathology. When we use mindfulness-based practices, we strengthen our vagal tone, leading to self-regulation, self-embodiment, and stronger self-awareness.
- Downregulates your sympathetic nervous system
- Mindfulness and yoga practices down-regulate your sympathetic nervous system (fight/flight), which allows your prefrontal cortex to operate efficiently. When we are in stress mode, amygdalar activity uses up ATP and suppresses energy from the executive functioning of the prefrontal cortex. The prefrontal cortex is responsible for seeing the big picture, critical thinking, compassion, and so much more. Mindfulness-based practices soothe the stress response allowing us to “see” more clearly and strengthen our executive functioning.
- Creates pleasurable pathways in our body
- Mindfulness and yoga practices create pleasurable pathways in our body that allow us to befriend the body leading to deeper embodiment and self-trust. Most of us can often feel disconnected from the body for several reasons (trauma, stress, fast pace living, etc.)- through these practices, we can begin to reconnect to our essence, find coherence in the body, and live in ways that are more fulfilled whole, and in tune.
This woo-woo stuff isn’t so woo-woo. It’s ultimate biohacking and sourcing sovereignty that allows you to live well, live clear and live-in alignment. All leading to deeper intuition, knowing, and being. These things are accessible to all of us, and I want to remind you how powerful you are. To trust yourself. You are beautiful. You are loved. You are love.
For more on self-regulation and self-sovereignty, connect with @melmarieyoga