Our mission is to support our nation’s cherished veterans by providing them with uplifting letters and the opportunity to form meaningful relationships. Our veteran participants possess a wide variety of military experiences - they come from all service branches, job specialities, and time periods. Your participation, even if just one letter, will mean the world to your veteran.
A simple letter is an act of kindness.
It’s a Military Life’s Veteran Pen Pal Project is a year-round, nationwide project centered around a simple act of kindness – sending a letter of gratitude to our nation’s heroes!
The Veteran Pen Pal Project connects veteran communities such as veteran centers, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and VA hospitals with pen pals around the world.
Why You Should Join The Veteran Pen Pal Project?
- Connect with United States veterans from all over the country
- Be a positive light to veterans who feel forgotten or isolated
- Support the efforts of various veteran communities that the VPPP partners with
- Learn about a veteran’s experience during a certain time in our nation’s history
- Connect with a veteran of the same branch or conflict as you, your spouse, or a family member
- The Veteran Pen Pals can provide mentorship to a new generation of service members
- Students can practice letter-writing
- and many more!
Become A Pen Pal
Join our veteran pen pal list here, and sign up for our newsletter
Read below for more information.
EXPECTATIONS FOR PEN PALS
1. Review the project
2. Sign up via our Veteran Pen Pal Project Sign-Up Form
3. Subscribe to our emails - you will not receive the information for where to send your letter if you are not subscribed
4. Write to your veteran pen pal as often as you’d like
Enroll a Veteran or Veteran Community
A veteran pen pal is a veteran who wishes to receive uplifting letters or cards from one of our many wonderful pen pals. If you are a veteran or part of a veteran community, such as a veteran center or assisted living facility, and are interested in receiving more information about how your veterans can participate, please email us at email@example.com. We support all veterans:
– Spouses of veterans
– Active duty personnel and deployed service members
– Veterans residing in retirement communities, nursing homes, or VA hospitals
– Veterans who are members of a VFW or American Legion post
– Veterans receiving end of life care – We support Veteran’s Last Patrol
Expectations For Veteran Communities:
- Review Project
- Send us a list of veteran participants (first name and last initial) with their service branch and conflict (i.e. John, Vietnam veteran, Navy)
- Once a letter is received, screen the letter prior to distributing it to the veteran.
- Send updates via email or post on our facebook group at Veteran Pen Pal Project (at least once a month)
- Assist veteran participants in writing a return letter to their pen pal.
- HAVE FUN!
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter
Contact Christina Etchberger at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to participate as a classroom or homeschooling family?
Find Writing Templates at Teachers Pay Teachers for FREE. Click here to check out all the templates for school and at home.
Want to be a Partner or Sponsor for Veteran Pen Pal Project?
Who Can Be a Partner or Sponsor?
- Small Business
- Platform or Public Figure
- Volunteer Organization
- Community Group
How Can a Partner or Sponsor Get Involved?
- Share Information about Veteran Pen Pal Project on Social Media or the Website of the partner or sponsor
- Refer our project to people seeking volunteer opportunities
- Donate when applicable to project needs or events: postage, cards, care package materials, or related services
Veteran Pen Pal Project appreciates your generosity and will list all of our partners and sponsors on our web page at Veteran Pen Pal Project Partners.
Want To Do More?
You can help spread the word about the VPPP, assist us in connecting with additional veteran communities, or donate when applicable.
Support Our Mission!
Veteran Pen Pal Gear -All proceeds from each purchase go towards stamps, stationery supplies, and shipping costs for the Stationery Kits we provide to veterans in need
VPPP - GoFundMe - All donations go towards stamps, stationery supplies, and shipping costs for the Stationery Kids.
Amazon Wish List - Donate stationery supplies for veterans in need
Post a photo of you with your flare in our Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/veteranpenpalproject so we can thank you for supporting our mission.
Support IML on Amazon!
Want to help us bring a little joy to a veteran on his Last Patrol?
ABOUT OUR FOUNDER
The Veteran Pen Pal Project was founded by Christina Etchberger, Army spouse, boy mom, and founder of It’s a Military Life. It’s a Military Life (link) is a military spouse and veteran networking community that provides resources, tools, and support to all members of the military community.
Christina is also a GivingTuesdayMilitary ambassador. She is very excited to have Veteran Pen Pal Project as her GTM project year round. Feel free to contact her below for more information.
Learn more about It's a Military Life here!